It was first referred to as a Freihof or free court under Melchior Arguello (Melchor de Argüello) in 1544. Later owners were the Bloe brothers (Bloenstain/Blauensteiner), Rätsch, Eibiswald and others. From 1705 Imperial Vice-Chancellor Friedrich Karl Schönborn was the owner, who had the existing structure generously expanded by his favourite architect, Lukas von Hildebrandt, between 1710 and 1720.
In around 1729, it was sold to his successor in the office of Vice-Chancellor, Duke Adolf Metsch, and on his death inherited by his son-in-law Khevenhüller-Metsch. The building was then owned by the Dukes Daun, who exchanged it for Dietrichstein Palace (= Grünne-Haus) in 1762.
Next Maria Theresia acquired the Blauensteiner-Hof and the adjacent Prucknerische Haus. As of 1756, a large extension was built by the court architect Nicoló Pacassi. Circa 1770 the Belvedere (paintings by Joseph Pichler?) was added. Pacassi modified the building, moving the entrance from the eastern to the northern side (i.e. the Schlossplatz or castle square).
The front of the entrance at the Schlossplatz is dominated by greatly brought forward corner projections, which follow the curved course of the border of the old village, which was built around a square. The central projection is emphasised by a portico, balcony and attic with a clock. In the Blauer Hof, the different forms of the pediments are notable as a reference to the main and additional wings. The interior decoration, insofar as it has been preserved, mainly dates from 1853/54.
The dining room wing, probably built by Nicoló Pacassi, is located on the site of the former Sinzendorfischer Haus and came into imperial ownership in 1756. The entrance front is dominated by a portico with sculptures of heron hawking. Inside there is a large oval dining room, whose walls are lent form by architectural painting (unfortunately only parts of this have been preserved). The ceiling fresco by Vinzenz Fischer shows putti hunting with falcons.
The castle theatre was built following designs by Nicoló Pacassi in 1753. On the park entrance side there is a high portico with a curved gable. The wall surfaces are structured by sunken fields and superimposed panels. As regards the interior decoration, only the late baroque painting in the illusionist architecture still remains. The upper zone with volutes, floral garlands and putti was added in the 19th century.